Sunday, July 10, 2011

10 July - Nasca

After a relaxing time in Huacachina we got to Nasca where we went to see the Nasca lines. So exciting.
In order to see the Nasca lines we split up and Scott choose to go to 3 observatories by car and guide where he could see a few signes and a museum that explained the whole history behind them. I chose to take the plane and fly over the whole field. Both tours were completely worth it! I was a little bit annoyed by the whole organisation of the flight though. I booked the tour at our hostel and till the end I honestly did not know if I was going or not...I also had to bargain the price and make sure I am going to fly with the company I wanted. I had to argue a little at the airport as suddenly my passport was handed out from one company (recommended by our tour guides) to another that I never heard of. (many accidents happened in the past because the planes were old and badly maintained, but now only a few companies can fly..safer but much more expensive). They were telling me that it is the same thing..tranquilo, traquilo they were saying. I did not agree on that and 30 mins later I was sitting on the right plane :-) All in all, the flight was very intresting but from what I read about the lines I thought that the signes were bigger. They are actually pretty small and sometimes hard to see as in order to see the signs, 20 years ago tourists were still allowed to drive their car in the field. It created many lines that do not have anything to do with the Nasca lines.

On the plae before taking off

The astronault

The hummingbird

Another bird


The observatory tour (and maybe Scott :-)), the tree o the left and the hands on the right
The amazing view from the plane

After the flight .with my certificate and happy not to have used the plastic bags provided in case someone does not enjoy the numerous loops of the plane, he,he.

As for me (scott) I had a great time with some israelis and an english speaking guide in an economy car.  I got to see a couple of figures by three towers, but what was interesting was the lines.  the nazca created lines sometimes up to 15 km long...9 mi...that were used as paths, astronomical indicators, and to point to water sources.  they actually created a series of underground irrigation channels that are still used to this day!  The ride was fun and along the way, i got to see a 1000 year old mummy with its skin and tatoos still holding on.  What more can you ask for?!

No comments:

Post a Comment